Monday, July 30, 2012

The rusted pool light.


The rusted pool light.

Last months lightning email got me a flourish of email replies, thanks to all that took the time to reply. Some very interesting stories from people who had experienced ESD events and even more chilling Lightning bolt (even some to tell me to get spell check)

I try my hand at some DIY and I am always keen to help out my friends with odd jobs around the house.  My good friend Warren had a DIY issue that he asked me for some assistance with.  He has a pool (like most warm blooded South Africans), and the pool has a pool light, a 12V one at that, but he battles with it, as it works 
intermittently.  We opened it up and found the cause of it.  The fitting and bulb contacts were corroding; a mix of humid conditions and chemicals had caused it to rust. While we were hunched over on our knees on the hard paving, I had to wish I had packed my Knee pads.
Pool Light
We tested the bulb and power coming into the globe using a Multimeter.  The globe was functioning and there was power, We found the best remedy was to use a product that would dry out the housing and the contacts and also assist in preventing or reducing further or future rusting.  I sprayed some RESOLVE All Purpose Spray. It has magical dewatering properties which inhibits rust and has a moisture retardant.  Over the years I have used it for a myriad of jobs from:
  • Squeaking door hinges
  • Rusted Padlocks
  • Cellphones dropped in water
  • Cleaning tools after use
  • Lubricating moving parts
  • On our track motorbikes
  • Tight nuts & bolts
    (to name a few)
 
Well done to Ernie Els and the SA Cricket team for great entertainment these past few days- Hashim Amla's triple ton was impressive! - what a knock "Some even said he was clean shaven when he started to bat!"  You make us proud.